People often wonder how Rectors are selected. Since there are no specific requirements or guidelines in the Essentials of Tres Dias, each Tres Dias community is free to set their own procedures and standards. The following represents Mid Hudson’s protocols:
- Potential rectors must have served on at least 4 teams, with the most recent being within the past 5 seasons. These roles must have included each of the following:
- 1 Auxiliary experience (Upstairs Auxiliary not Kitchen Aux),
- 2 different rollos, and
- Any other team experience.
- Potential rectors MUST be in a Reunion Group. This is non-negotiable.
- Pescadores must wait at least 2 full seasons from their first rectorship to be eligible for the second experience. They must have had at least one team experience of any sort within the last 5 seasons.
- Pescadores may only serve as Rector twice in their lifetime. (On rare occasion, a two-time rector may be requested to fill in as a last minute replacement. This is an extreme exception that requires action by the Executive Committee).
RECTOR SELECTION PROCESS:
- The Weekend Committee, on behalf of the Secretariat, sends invitations in November of each year to all Pescadores who are qualified for 1st or 2nd time Rector positions.
- Those who advise that they would like to be considered are reviewed by the Weekend Committee to make certain there are no compelling reasons that a candidate is not qualified for the role.
- The list of rector candidates are presented to the President of the Secretariat, who then schedules a time for formal rector selection.
NEW CHANGES EFFECTIVE JANUARY, 2009:
- Historically, rectors were chosen by a vote of past rectors, which precluded the general community from being involved in the process. However, Secretariat approved a new procedure as of January, 2009:
- In reviewing the past practice, it was felt that there was a significant chance for rectors to be chosen by popularity or other subjective criteria, potentially leaving God out of the selection process. It was therefore decided that all of the vetted names proposed by the Weekend Committee would be placed in a box, prayed over, and then chosen by lot. This decision was based on the principles noted in Acts 1:20-26 when Matthias was chosen as Judas’ replacement.
- As a result, beginning in January, 2009, the entire Tres Dias community will be invited to attend the rector selection service, and there will be a time of praise & worship and prayer prior to the drawing of the names.
- It is the prayer of the Secretariat that the Lord will use this process to choose the leaders that He desires.
NEW CHANGES EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER, 2012:
- At the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee for Rector Selection the requirement that at least half of the rectors chosen be 1st time rectors was eliminated by Mid-Hudson Secretariat.